Monday, September 26, 2011

From Town to Town

As the novels keeps on moving we learn that there are every time more and more neighboring town to the one the Bennets and Bingley live in. I believe this makes the reading much more interesting or in a way less "boring", I believe this is the case because the families travel across the country to meet new people, giving the reader a constant inflow of new characters. I belief this makes this novel far more interesting and differentiate it from normal stories in which the characters don't change a lot during the novel, instead it allows you to open your mind to make up a story for each and every one of them.

I also find it interesting how the use of the neighboring towns gives the story the feeling of a more modern mood, in which people travelled in horses and women were dresses to the time. As I read the book I can imagine an Amish village where everybody knows each other's pros and cons, but nobody has the "guts" to tell them to the person.

Chapter 11 starts off with the daughters return from Netherfield, we also learn that a guy named Mr. Collins which is Mr. Bennets cousin sends him a letters telling him his house is entitled to him, he later on goes to the Bennets house to observe what one day will be his (the Bennets house). The guy in my opinion is a little rude even though he begs for pardon for just "popping" in and clarifying that the house will one day be his. I belief Mr. Collins is a new character which portrays from my viewpoint a mysterious character, where did he appear from and how did he obtain the house, were the first questions that came into my mind as I read the passage.

"After amusing himself some time with their curiosity, he thus explained:
"About a month ago I received this letter; and about a fortnight ago I answered it, for I thought it a case of some delicacy, and requiring early attention. It is from my cousin, Mr. Collins, who, when I am dead, may turn you all out of this house as soon as he pleases."
"Oh! my dear," cried his wife, "I cannot bear to hear that mentioned. Pray do not talk of that odious man. I do think it is the hardest thing in the world, that your estate should be entailed away from your own children; and I am sure, if I had been you, I should have tried long ago to do something or other about it." (46)

The reader can deduce that Mr. Bennet is not a strong man or was scared to tell his family about his problems, or simply just doesn't like to be helped (too proud) I like the fact that his wife grounds him as she cries, it makes a mental picture of a Mexican soap opera with the whole family is in the dining room and the embarrassed father telling the bad news while the wife screams and cries.
After the meeting with Mr. Collins he reads for the kids a sermon book, "who the hell reads sermons to kids (weird guy)", Lydia then becomes so bored about the reading that she starts to gossip and Mr. Collins decides to leave to play backgammon with Mr. Bennet. The day after they all go to a neighboring town called Meryton, the day after Mr. Bennet told Mr. Collins that her daughter Jane was in a "relationship" show he decided to go for Elizabeth. In the town Lydia encounters his officer friends, Mr. Darcy with a guy named Wickham, while they greet each other Darcy and Bingley happen to go by them. Elizabeth then notices that there a weird feeling between Darcy and Wickham, they later pay a visit to Mrs. Phillips, Mrs. Bennet's sister, she invites the family and Mr. Collins for dinner the next night and the girls also invite Wickham. Once again home Mr. Collins tells Mr. Bennet that his daughters are a real charm.

In the dinner party the reader observes how Wickham is a more social person making himself the center of attention, while Mr. Collins is just a part of the party, not participating at all. As the party develops the cards change against MR. Collins which was trying to get Elizabeth's heart. Unfortunately Wickham is so likable that Elizabeth starts falling for him. I think Wickham is a mirror to Mr. Collins he is a character that ignites the party and wherever he goes he is not just a shadow, in the other hand Mr. Collins is an awkward guy that does not talk much.

When the party ends Elizabeth confesses Jane that she is starting to like Wickham, but Jane tells her that Darcy is more of a "man". As I read this part of the story I laughed at how similar the girl's story and society is to ours. How feelings get mixed and love takes over the ambient, I also like how there is a great deal of gossip between the families and friends.

When they get home Elizabeth states that she can only think in Wickham and is disgraced by the fact that at the ball that Bingley will have she has to reserve to dances for Mr. Collins.

No comments:

Post a Comment